Director of Finance
Helias Catholic High School is seeking a skilled, strategy-minded candidate for the position of Director of Finance. This is a full-time, salaried, 12-month position. The qualified candidate will direct the financial functions of Helias Catholic High School in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. In addition, the successful applicant will advise the President and the school’s Advisory Council and its committees as well as the Board of Directors to meet their fiduciary responsibilities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, develop, organize, direct and manage the day-to-day operations of the Finance Office, including payables, receivables, FACTS tuition, human resources, investments and capital projects.
- Prepare, manage and direct the operating budget and cash-flow forecasts to meet the financial and strategic objectives defined by the President and the Board of Directors.
- Prepare, analyze and interpret all financial reports in an accurate and timely manner.
- Develop and maintain all necessary fiscal and internal controls.
- Create an annual budget calendar.
- Work with the President, the Advisory Council and the Finance Committee to create an annual budget and deliver on time a proposed operating budget for the next fiscal year.
- Work with external auditors to support their work.
- Work with the Director of Admissions to ensure the size of the student body meets budget objectives, including tuition assistance.
- Work with applicable diocesan and outside legal counsel to coordinate and address litigious matters involving the school.
- Oversee the risk management function, including ensuring adequate property, casualty, liability and workers’ compensation insurance.
- Work closely with the President and diocesan personnel regarding all financial and personnel regulatory and compliance issues are effectively managed and addressed.
- Work with the Investment Committee to oversee all investments and ensure the endowment is meeting defined objectives.
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of long-range planning and the introduction of new programs and strategies to achieve desired financial results.
- Enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the school through systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the school.
- Maintain and monitor operational metrics (dashboard) and advise the President and other school leaders accordingly.
- Manage and evaluate Finance Office employees for continued improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the office as well as provide individual employees of the Finance Office with professional and personal development and growth.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the President.
- Cooperate with school and diocesan administration; work effectively with all staff members to promote a positive work environment.
- At all times demonstrate professionally responsible behavior.
- Uphold and model a moral code consistent with teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and the mission of Helias Catholic High School.
- Demonstrate by attitude, words, actions and integrity support for the mission of Helias Catholic High School.
- Support and adhere to the Diocese of Jefferson City Policy and Regulations Manual and the Helias Catholic High School Student and Faculty Handbooks.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding school matters.
- Bachelor’s degree required; CPA strongly preferred.
- 10-15 years of accounting/financial experience; leadership experience strongly preferred.
- Forward-thinking and creative with high ethical standards, a high level of integrity and strong work ethic. Ability to maintain confidentiality is essential.
- Experience working with and presenting to management teams and boards.
- Strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus.
- Open and collaborative management style.
- Well-versed in systems and applicable technologies including Microsoft Office Suite and, ideally, Blackbaud.
- The Director of Finance is hired by, reports to and is accountable to the President.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary negotiable, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Comprehensive benefit program provided by the Diocese of Jefferson City.