Position is accountable for applying and using experience in the field of application development and support to write and modify code, test, debug, document, and implement software applications. Performs moderately complex assignments that may require the development of new or improved applications, processes, or techniques. Assignments may involve integration of third-party applications. Acts with independence and may be accountable for a significant portion of a large project/enhancement.
Department: Information Technology
Supervision Received: Work is performed with considerable independence under the immediate supervision of the Director of Information Technology Services with oversight by the Chief Information Officer.
FLSA Status: Exempt. The position qualifies for the professional exemption under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities: (This list is neither all-inclusive, nor restrictive; management reserves the right to further define duties based on operational needs.)
- Perform complex assignments often requiring the development of new or improved applications, processes, or techniques.
- Serving as a member of project teams on major information technology projects.
- Reviewing, evaluating, and improving existing applications; recommending changes to existing applications.
- Assisting in or leading the programming of large complex problems.
- Consulting with end users of existing and new applications to determine needs.
- Accountable for application security, validation, evaluation, and implementation.
- Preparing procedural manuals for operational systems.
- Playing an active role in working toward and achieving department objectives and goals.
- Preparing the logical interface between related programs.
- Organizing information into accessible work files.
- Stay informed of topics related to the health insurance and information technology industry.
- Consulting vendors on hardware and software needs/issues, making recommendations to the Chief Information Officer.
- Performs other related duties as needed or assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of the general operating principles and capabilities of information technology equipment and methods.
- Knowledge of office procedures and processes, and of techniques involved in their analysis, adaptation and programming for conversion to information technology.
- Knowledge of methods and procedures of accounting, mathematics, statistics, economics and other appropriate substantive areas as applied to the use of information technology.
- Skill in inductive and deductive reasoning and ability to understand and follow complex instructions.
- Ability to think logically, interpret procedural problems of average complexity in both written and graphic form and translate into computer language.
- Ability to analyze operations and to organize their component parts into a logical system.
- Must possess a thorough understanding of application development methodologies.
- Ability to evaluate and make recommendations of RFPs for hardware and software.
- Proven ability to communicate and deliver results.
- Ability to serve as a productive team member and the ability to demonstrate a professional and positive attitude while establishing and maintaining excellent working relationships with MCHCP management, staff and members, health plan representatives as well as other outside agencies/contractors and general public.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all MCHCP information and records in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other applicable laws and regulations.
- Ability to make independent decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures; and ability to prioritize, organize and perform work independently and under pressure.
- Ability to project a professional image through oral and written communication and appearance.
- Excellent work history and attendance record required.
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in computer information systems, computer science, business administration or closely related field preferred and 2-5 years of information technology experience with emphasis in applications development and support. May consider Associate’s Degree with directly related experience or combination of extensive work experience and related college course work in lieu of 4-year college degree.
- Requires experience in ASP.NET/VB.NET or closely related programming methodologies. Additional knowledge of MS-SQL database administration helpful.
- Prefer specialized experience in the areas of application development, support, database, business, and/or systems analysis.